Translate

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

12.9.14 Twelve days of Christmas


Bountiful Blessings

December 9, 2014

Good morning, my friends. How are you? I am finishing up finals. Decorating the house. Finishing up my last volunteer projects and gearing up for Christmas. J I was stressing a little about money (Huh, imagine that) because I MAY have overdone it a little this Christmas (may, yea right). And then I thought about why I overdo it and the point that I am missing. You see, I love Christmas. I love every aspect. The lights, the music, the shopping, the decorations but especially the giving. I love to buy for others to do something special for those who mean so much to me all year long. But am I missing the point??? I have a couple of beautiful Nativity scenes and about six Christmas trees but you know what is my favorite decoration? My small Santa kneeling in prayer before the baby Jesus. I love it and the message it inspires. I am not kneeling enough before the baby Jesus. I need to find more peace. I need to show more love, and not monetary or materialistically (my family is like, whoa, back up there a minute). Lets see if I can explain what is in my heart and in my mind.

Nowadays when women have a baby, we are very spoiled (c’mon, think about it, you are). We do not want to experience the pain. We want to have the baby in a private suite in the best baby hospital. We wrap the baby in a fancy little suit for his or her picture and think we have to wait until our hair is fixed and makeup on before visitors can come in and see us and the baby. Spoiled, I say, yep, Im calling it, spoiled. Now lets look back. A girl, barely a woman.  No fancy bedding. No epidural. No comfortable mattress. No doctor helping you along. Just you and your husband. Not even a midwife to guide you. You know that it had to be cold and smelly. Close your eyes and imagine visiting someone’s farm. The smell of hay. The smell of manure. Just the smell of the animals themselves. (You shuddered a little, I saw you). The greatest person to ever live was born in that barn. To conditions that we cannot even fathom. Shepherds and kings came from afar to see him. Not in a fancy hospital suite with Mary and the baby all cleaned up and pretty. But a mother and child, dirty, cold, and absolutely breathtaking. Christmas is not about the trees in my home or the carols playing in my car or the presents lining the balcony. Christmas is not even about what I can give to you. Christmas is about what was given to all of us on that cold morning so many years ago.

  • On the twelfth day of Christmas – twelve sheep a running in the fields
  • On the eleventh day of Christmas – eleven chickens a clucking
  • On the tenth day of Christmas – ten goats a chewing
  • On the ninth day of Christmas – nine places were full and refused them a place to stay
  • On the eighth day of Christmas – eight camels bringing the kings and supplies
  • On the seventh day of Christmas – seven pigs a rutting around in the hay
  • On the sixth day of Christmas – six angels proclaiming the birth of our Savior
  • On the fifth day of Christmas – five shepherds heading from the fields to follow the star
  • On the fourth day of Christmas – four donkeys watching from the sides
  • On the third day of Christmas – three kings coming from afar
  • On the second day of Christmas – two parents beaming
  • On the first day of Christmas – one star leading everyone to one manger to the ONE

Bible verse for the week:

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”  Isaiah 9:6

Prayer for the week:

Dear Lord, as Christmas rapidly approaches, please turn our hearts and our minds towards the true gift of Christmas, the birth of our Lord and Savior. Let us rejoice at his birth and keep the spirit of love and kindness in our hearts all year long. You have blessed us with such a gift, may we always be thankful and praise and honor you. In Jesus’s name, Amen.

Picture for the week:


Bible fun for the week:

Of the four gospels, which one does not mention the birth of Christ?

Who spread the news of Jesus’s birth in Bethlehem?

Why were Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem at the time of the birth?

In which gospel, is the term “manger” mentioned?

 

*** Special assignment ***

Make a birthday card for Jesus - draw a picture for the cover & write the sentiment inside

 

Talk with you soon, my friends. I love you! More importantly, God loves you!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment