Translate

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

11.10.15 Thank you to our men and women who served, and who have served, our country!

Bountiful Blessings

November 10, 2015
Good morning. How are you on this beautiful/dreary, overcast day. Oh, my friends, every day is a beautiful day. Every day is a blessing from above to treasure and savor. Well, tell me, what has been going on? We do not get to talk near as often as I would like and I know people/places/events continue in your life during our break. All ears…
Well, surprise surprise. The whole all ears didn’t last long. Back to me talking. J I thought long and hard about what I wanted to write about. Was going with teaching/learning but then something else intruded and pushed that to the side. Now I want to talk about our servicemen and women. Tomorrow is Veteran’s Day and whereas, I do not think we should wait to extend our appreciation to two government appointed days a year, but well, any day is a good day to say thank you, right?
Hmmm…things going on with me lately. Probably sure that all of you know. Its not that I keep my life low key. Haha, right. One is the Christmas cards for the soldiers campaign. This year has exceeded my expectations. I have probably purchased 1000 cards. We have already received over 1500 with quite a few to be picked up/delivered. Isnt that incredible? God is good, my friends. Friends, family, Eastern Star and Samford have all been so generous and thoughtful with their time. Thank you. Thank you. This Friday, I have the honor of sitting at a table for the ASO Salute to the Armed Forces performance and ask guests to sign cards. What an incredible opportunity! The second thing involves my dad. This weekend, we honored his service in the Navy at Alabama Veterans Park with a brick featuring his name, rank and branch of the service. It was a very touching moment. All of the family was there as well as Dad’s good friend. I was able to give a two minute presentation in his honor, and then Noah Galloway and a boy scout presented him with a flag and a certificate. There were about 40 other veterans being honored by their friends and families that rainy Sunday afternoon. From the bottom of my heart, we extend our deepest appreciation to each and every one of them for their service. But as I attended the ceremony and as I gather cards, I have met many others who served our country. Others who sacrificed, who left families, who placed their lives in danger, who didn’t get the holidays off or the weekends, others who made a commitment to protect our country, our freedom and ultimately, us. It has been such an honor and privilege. And lastly, as Christmas rolls around, its donation time for 3 Hots and a Cot. Dollar Tree items such as shampoo or soap. Canned goods or oh my goodness, coffee. Last year, we gathered up quite a bit between Christmas and my parents’ anniversary party. The gentlemen who came to get it all out of my car were so gracious and thankful. It breaks my heart to think of all the servicemen and women who returned home only to struggle with daily life, the return to “normal”. 3 Hots offers a few homeless vets a chance – a chance at a home, a job, and the respect they deserve. Yes, feeling really passionate about our military personnel right now. Not your passion? Ok. Not going to be everyone’s. (Bad news – my newsletter. My passion. Haha). To sum it up, today, I am not tying my newsletter to a Bible reference. Today, I am simply asking each of you to say a prayer for our military men and women, both past and present. Lift them to the Lord.

Pictures for the week:   
   
       
Bible verse for the week:



Bible fun for the week:

Unscramble the verse:
Psalm 29:11  “The strength to people peace Lord blesses his gives people with his Lord the”.

Thanks and bless each of you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment