Translate

Thursday, September 4, 2014

"Fat and Nasty"? Think again. 9.4.14


Bountiful Blessings

 September 4th, 2014
Good morning! Yes, I am stepping out of my comfort zone and doing this on a Thursday. Wooo, radical. But had something on my mind and felt the compulsion to share. Aren’t you the lucky one???

Summer shared Tyrese’s article with me about “fat and nasty” people. Yes, it was offensive.  No one wants to be called fat and nasty. But that is not what is bothering me. What bugs me is me. How I take it. How I let it affect me. See, all my life, I have worried about what others thought of me. I wasn’t smart enough, pretty enough, athletic enough, popular enough, thin enough… I let others convince me that I wasn’t enough. It didn’t matter how hard I tried; I always set myself up for failure. (You will simply have to imagine the look of disgust on my face).  Why am I holding myself to these unrealistic standards set by society? My dad, who I love tremendously and loves me back with all his heart, has told me that “I used to be pretty before I gained so much weight”. Really, Dad? Look at it from a different angle, could I ever meet the standards? It is not just the “fat”, the “ugly”, the “poor” or the “dumb” that experience these feelings. Beautiful people continuously go under the knife to improve on perceived flaws. Rich people take drugs to help with stress and keep up the energy/the power/the façade of their lifestyle. Society as a whole has made everyone self-conscious about something.  For example, I make id cards at Samford. Students will come in for a picture and are absolutely gorgeous (inside and out). They will get their picture and are so disappointed. Where I see beauty, they see flaws. The picture is the size of a stamp. How do you even see flaws? And those flaws? A shiny nose, a droopy eye, a hair out of place. Those aren’t flaws. They are you, and they are beautiful. Those wrinkles besides your eyes; those are signs of the many smiles you have graced us with. The gray in your hair; it is a sign of the deep love and concern you have for your family. The freckles on your face; those are beauty marks sprinkled by God. Embrace yourself!

I don’t want to always see the flaws in myself. I want to see the good - the strengths and the beauty- God’s handprint, God’s design. This semester, I am taking Advanced Seminar in Substance Abuse. The common theme is taking drugs to increase the feeling of well-being. To feel good about oneself. Really? This is what we have come to? Well, let me just get on my soap box here. I love you. But I don’t need your opinion of me. Yes, I am fat. I am often lazy and bossy. I may lose my patience or even my temper. I am not pretty nor one of the popular girls. Ohhhhkkkk…. But I am smart, I am loving and thoughtful. I am giving of my time and my money (haha. when I actually have any.)I am pretty awesome. And you know how I know? Because the one person that matters. The one person who I live for. The one person who has the right to judge me. Well, he finds me pretty awesome. One day, I will be come before him and I am pretty sure that he will not tell me that I am too fat, too dumb or too ugly to get into Heaven. Pretty sure.

So if you read the Tyrese article or take a terrible drivers license picture, let it roll off of your back. No bigs, right? We (yes, I am encompassing up all) need to quit living for man and live for God.

Bible Verse for the week:
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.       Romans 12:2

Prayer for the week:
Dear Lord,
Today may I embrace your love and acceptance and rid myself of the worries of the world. I pray that I shed my cloak of self-defeat and cover myself in your strength and your glory. I pray that my actions, my thoughts and my behaviors bring praise and honor to you. For you, and only you, are my judge and jury. For you, I give my life and all my love. In Jesus’s name, Amen.

Bible Fun for the week:

The name of God is not mentioned in only one book of the Bible. Which one?

On which day did God create animals?

What did the lords of the philistines offer Delilah for revealing the secret of Samson's strength?

What was the last plague on Egypt?

What occurred when Jonathan and his armor-bearer attacked the Philistines?

Who built the first altar?

What prophet issued ominous warning against people who took advantage of widows and the fatherless?

Who ate honey out of a lion's carcass?

What famous city did Nebuchadnezzar rule?

Who was Israel's first high priest?

What colors of yarn were used to create the sacred ephod and breastpiece worn by the high priest Aaron?

Who were the parents of King Solomon?

In the Bible, who did the sun and moon stand still before?

How many books of the Bible are named after women?

Who is the only woman whose age is mentioned in the Bible?

Which two wicked cities were destroyed by God in Genesis?

Have a blessed weekend, everyone! You are always in my thoughts and my prayers.

 

Terri                 www.birminghambountifulblessings.blogspot.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment